Saturday 29 August 2009

Atom Heart Mother and my Mancrush

First of all, let me get it out the way. It started on Thursday. I was listening to Chris Moyles, when they talked about Robbie Williams. It got me listening to him on Spotify. Then it got me googling him. Damn. I'm a straight guy, but I so would. So talented, so arrogant, so hot. Amazing. I'm so excited about next Friday. The first play of his new single. I need to see him next year.

Now the elephant in the room is out the way, time to get back to earth. I sound so much like a swooning 13 year old girl after what I've just said, but at the moment I feel so much like a swooning 13 year old girl I guess it makes sense. Atom Heart Mother. I discovered this album during my trip to Belgium. The album itself is great, another solid Pink Floyd album, but the titular track is awesome. Weighing in at nearly 25 minutes, it's one of those songs which a non-Floyd fan will cite as the reason why Pink Floyd are crap. But they're so wrong. The amazing thing about this longer pieces is the way they used silence itself as an instrument. There are times when the silence really contributes towards making the piece of music better. The song has the scale rarely seen in Pink Floyd's music, it was recorded with a full orchestra, and to me it really allows the band to convey their message in a much more precise way. Truly awesome. One of the best bands of all time prove why that title is so often attributed to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment