Sunday 2 August 2009

This Week's Listening


So I told you about the films I've watched over the last few days, but what music have I been listening to? Here we go:

Run this Town - Jay-Z feat. Rihanna and Kanye West

Have got slightly addicted to this song. Jay-Z & Kanye are probably my favourite two rappers of all time, so any time they collaborate, it's an instant thumbs up from me. Not a massive Rihanna fan but she does what's needed in this song and it's better for it. It could be massive. More radio-friendly than D.O.A., but retaining the depth you'd expect from a Jay-Z song. He's a bit unlucky though, Kanye really outshines him in this song, but he does get the better verse. That leads me on to:
Numb/Encore - Jay-Z & Linkin Park
It's no secret that I'm no fan of Linkin Park. It's the kind of wailing aimed at pre-pubescent teens whose only problems come from being laughed at because they tripped over their shoelaces in the corridor at school. That said, in this song, I feel they actually contribute as opposed to take away, which in my opinion shows Jay-Z's greatness. He very rarely makes a bad collaboration. Jay-Z himself is just on phenomenal form in this song. Speaking of phenomenal:
Lungs - Florence and the Machine
Early competitor for album of the year in my opinion. Fantastic album by one of the hottest new bands around. 'Nuff said.
United States of Eurasia - Muse
This is a song I'm pretty torn on to be honest. I'm a big Muse fan, but this song won't go down with my favourites. It just sounds like, well, Queen. I'm not the only one who thinks that. All my Muse-loving friends say it too, and all the posts on Youtube seem to comment on it too. I guess it depends on whether you like Queen as to whether that's good or not. Personally I do, but I still struggle to like this song. It feels like Muse are trying to be something that they're not. Maybe it'll grow on me. Time will tell.
Holiday - Dizzee Rascal
Love this song. It's catchy and danceable with a great summer feel to it. Whilst it's not been as big as Bonkers, and probably won't be, it's still a great tune that'll get plenty of radio and club airtime.
I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
The new number 1, and a deserved number in my opinion. It's feel-good, positive, energetic and extremely danceable. I first heard this song about six weeks ago and loved it on my first listen. It's gradually climbed the charts and knocked JLS off the top spot this week. Built on a sample from the song Heartbreaker by MSTRKRFT, it's not the most complex song musically of all time, but it's good enough for me.
Supernova - Mr Hudson ft. Kanye West
An excellent song showcasing the potential of Mr Hudson, a new act signed by Kanye West onto his label, and now being mentored by the man himself. Fingers crossed, I might be going to see Mr Hudson live in the autumn!

What am I listening to at the moment? Walking Boogie - Snooky Pryor. My new favourite song of all time? No. But a cheeky little blues number, worth a listen nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment